Camp Second Chance is growing and thriving!
We now have 55 residents, and our first two tiny houses are up! We have electricity and a potable water cistern. A grey-water catchment tank and sinks go in this week. We are being visited by the shower truck, the medical van, and the dental van.
We’ve made huge progress, but more residents also means more work! We NEED YOUR HELP to provide compassionate and supportive services to all our wonderful new residents. Here are some opportunities for you to get involved:
DONATE A MEAL. If you can donate a cooked meal, or the groceries for a meal — that would be so wonderful! Our goal is to have one meal delivered per day and we have lots of open slots on our meal calendar. To learn more and volunteer, read about Cooking for Camp Second Chance.
BECOME A VOLUNTEER HOUSING ADVOCATE. We now have a full time Housing Case Manager, Simon Stephens, who is doing an outstanding job helping camp residents move up and out into housing as quickly as possible. There is WAY MORE WORK than one person can do alone, and he needs a team of VOLUNTEER ADVOCATES to help with things like housing research, employment research, filling out applications, making resumes, and cheering people on through the grueling and complicated process of navigating the housing system. To become a Volunteer Housing Advocate, email Simon at email@example.com.
HELP US BUILD MICRO-HOMES FOR OUR RESIDENTS. Our city contract gives us permission to replace our tents with micro-homes, but does not provide funding. Our 8×12 units will cost $2,500 each and we hope to have 52 by November — 50 residential units and two staff offices. That cost is for the supplies only, and depends on volunteer labor for assembly. We need help raising money for supplies or getting supplies donated. We also need volunteers to help with construction. There will be build parties going on in camp every Saturday and Sunday all summer long, 10 am to 4 pm. We will also need donations of meals, or groceries for a camp cookout, on Saturdays and Sundays so we can feed everyone who is working hard on the build! To volunteer for a weekend build, visit our SignUp Genius page.
HELP US WITH YOUR DONATION. If you are unable to volunteer, we also continue to need donations to keep the quality of services at camp excellent for all of our residents. The city contract covers 85% of our expenses, but we must raise the other 15%: $42,000 for 2017. We especially need general operating funds for administrative oversight, and for client-assistance funds for things like housing applications, move in assistance, or bus tickets home for residents who are reuniting with family. You can donate online to Complete Our Budget.
If you want to volunteer, contact Polly at 206-465-6342 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you all for your support and kindness. Working together, we CAN end homelessness. We just need generosity, a shared vision, determination, and loving-kindness.